If you are participating in a Bonfire peer-to-peer t-shirt fundraiser for your favorite nonprofit, we’ve created this comprehensive Team Captain guide to help you raise maximum funds and reach your goals.
Use our new Classy integration to easily sell custom apparel alongside your Classy campaign and raise additional funds for your organization.
Setting Up Your Fundraiser
Launching a peer to peer fundraising campaign is simple with Bonfire. The nonprofit that you’re fundraising for has worked with Bonfire to do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, so you will be able to hop in and get your campaign up and running quickly.
Register With the Organization
Sign up to participate in the organization’s Peer-to-Peer Fundraiser by going to their custom landing page on Bonfire. Here you will find a registration form that you can fill out to register your fundraising team and request your custom design.
Enhance your organization’s events by empowering your community to launch apparel-based fundraisers on your behalf. Learn More
Create Your Design
When you complete the fundraiser registration form, you will begin the process of designing your artwork. Depending on the preferences of your organization, you will either create a custom t-shirt design that’s unique to you or the organization you’re fundraising for may have already created a design template for you to customize with your team name or phrase. A Bonfire representative will work with you directly to get your design finalized and your campaign page set up correctly.
Select Your Products
Once the Bonfire Team has set up your campaign page with the custom design you’ve created, you can then log into your account to choose the apparel styles and colors you wish to offer. Depending on the preferences of your organization, they may recommend specific colors and styles to offer. We have a wide selection of products for both adults and children!
Set Your Prices
The second step of the campaign setup process is to set the selling price for each of the products you offer. We have recommended selling prices for each product that hit the perfect balance between raising the maximum funds and what price a buyer is ready to pay. But you can adjust these numbers to fit your audience and fundraising expectations. Your organization may also choose to set a standard price structure for all campaigns.
Connect Your Campaign to the Organization
Next, choose “Fundraising”, as your campaign type, and select that you wish to send your payout directly to a 501(c)3 of your choice.
Then use the search bar to find and select the organization that you’re raising money for. As long as the nonprofit can be found on Charity Navigator, you will be able to find it in our search tool. You can search using the Nonprofit’s name, or the EIN associated with the organization.
Customize Your Campaign Page
Now for the fun part – once your designs, product styles, and colors are all finalized, it’s time to customize your campaign page. This is where you can tell your story about why you decided to participate in this fundraising campaign, and why the cause matters to you. You can also add photos and videos to the campaign page to enhance your story even more.
Launch Your Campaign
When your campaign page is complete, it’s time to launch it and start promoting and selling shirts to your community. When the campaign ends, we ship all of the purchased products directly to your supporters. We will send 100% of the campaign proceeds directly to the organization.
Promoting Your Campaign
Now that you have launched your peer to peer fundraising campaign, it’s time to start promoting it to your community. This section of the guide will help you successfully share your campaign with your supporters so you can reach your fundraising goals with ease.
TIP: If you plan on running your campaigns for multiple batches, repeat this promotional check for each batch and feel free to get creative as you find new ways to promote your fundraiser to your community.
Before You Launch
Set yourself up for success by preparing a plan before hitting “launch”:
- Establish how many batches your Bonfire campaign will have. With Bonfire’s Smart Launch feature, your campaign will automatically relaunch at the end of your first batch. If shirts need to be printed and shipped in order to be worn for a specific day or event, you will want to make sure your community knows the last day they can purchase for an on-time arrival.
- Create engaging visuals to promote your fundraiser. We highly recommend ordering a shirt ahead of time to use for marketing your campaign. Snap photos of members of your community wearing the shirts so that you have visuals for promoting your campaign.
When You Launch
Once your fundraising campaign has launched, take some time to create a promotional plan for the length of your campaign:
- Announce the launch of your campaign to friends and family on social media, on other fundraising sites you are already utilizing such as Classy, and through text or email newsletters.
- In these announcements, make sure to explain what you’re fundraising for. Your story is what will motivate your community to support you. Include a photo that shows the products you are selling and a link to the campaign page.
- For platforms such as Instagram, feature a link to your campaign in your profile for visibility and easy access for your supporters.
Keep your community engaged throughout the duration of your campaign by varying the content you share along the way.
- Instagram and Facebook are great platforms for promotion – don’t forget about Facebook Live, Instagram Live, and Instagram Stories, they are a quick and easy way to post a reminder about your campaign.
- Continue to share the story behind your campaign and your personal connection to the organization you are fundraising on behalf of.
- Highlight a specific shirt style, color, or season benefit of the products in your campaign.
- Vary the visuals you use to promote your campaign by using different photos of your products. Make sure you share some where the product is worn by a person and some where it’s an up-close photo of the design.
- Update your audience on the progress of your campaign, let them know how close you are to reaching your goals.
Before Your Batch Closes
Make the most of the last days of your campaign – oftentimes these can be the largest sales days.
- Make a final push on social media, but also through more personal channels such as through text and email, to let people know there is still time to support your campaign.
- Emphasize that this is the last chance to get a shirt if you do not plan on relaunching your campaign for another batch, or if this is the deadline for on-time arrivals for a specific date or event.
- Thank your supporters for their involvement thus far. Express your gratitude while communicating the impact their purchase has made on the cause you are fundraising for.
As Products Arrive
Once products start arriving, take advantage of the natural momentum it will cause!
- Utilize a specific hashtag for your fundraiser and encourage your community to share photos of themselves in their new swag.
- On platforms that enable easy content sharing such as Facebook and Instagram, share these photos of your supporters in your apparel on your personal pages.
- If buyers need customer service, let Bonfire handle it! Our customer success team takes care of any sizing or delivery concerns so you can stay focused on fundraising. Tell them to email us directly at email@example.com!
Learn more about promoting your campaign